Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Self-Defense Techniques

While I previously mentioned ideas about self defense before, specifically with the "Bucking Horse" story, I have never really described what exactly I am referring to when I mention practicing it. It is referred to "ippon kumite" in Japanese, which translates to "one step sparring." This title is very fitting as all of the self-defense "techniques" I know involve one step. To help visualize what exactly is being done when someone is performing "self-defense techniques" it is often easiest to picture a kata, or form, that only lasts one step. The differences between kata and ippon kumite are numerous so it is important to not get them confused.

Ippon kumite is only one of many types of kumite. The other part of my project that has to do with kumite is "sparring." Sparring is a very general term that applies to practice fighting, and the more accurate term for the "sparring" sessions I had with my father is "jiyu kumite." Jiyu kumite translates to "free fighting." This "free fighting" simulates what an actual fight scenario might be like. Jiyu kumite is one of my favorite parts of my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment