Thursday, March 7, 2013

Progress Thus Far

So today I attended two consecutive classes. The first, was primarily for teaching the basics, and these classes are the classes that I usually attend. The second, however, was specialized for kumite, or sparring. In this class I was taught how to block several kicks correctly and how to maneuver my body with footwork. Even though I know my basic stances very well, I am still not all that accustomed to moving around to block and counter. This is something that I will memorize and internalize as soon as I can.

This weekend is very exciting for me. Tomorrow I am setting the mouthpieces and preparing the fighting gear so that my dad and I can spar on Saturday morning. I have sparred with him before unsuccessfully (as in I lost repeatedly and was unable to block a significant number of his strikes) but nevertheless, I always learned something from each sparring session.

Here's another motivational video:


Something I noticed however, is how effortless and controlled their techniques are, specifically their kicks. I will start practicing my basic kicks and work on my new ones as part of my morning workout routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment