Friday, April 19, 2013

Project Hiccups

For the past ten days or so, I have run into several major problems with my project. Since the majority of my project work is physical training, any type of injury is a hindrance. Unfortunately I very recently injured my knees, the left more than the right, but both just do not feel right. These injuries make it somewhat painful to climb stairs and at times just to walk.

As to how I hurt my knees, it is not that complicated (at least I think). Wednesday night I went for a run around where I live which consists of steep hills, and I think that the jarring motion of running may have played a small role in the injury. In addition, it probably did not help that I ran another mile the next day. However, I did not feel pain or discomfort while I was running, immediately before, or immediately afterwards but once I arrived home Thursday night, my left knee started to hurt. I did attend my Karate class that night thinking that it was only a minor injury but thus far, my knee still hurts when I put a significant amount of weight on it.

To think that several short runs could cause that kind of injury makes me think about how fragile people really are. Whether someone sprains their ankle, breaks their arm, or even loses a limb due to a serious accident, injuries happen to everyone and in every place. That being said, I often catch myself thinking about the destructive power of martial arts. Many simple strikes, if applied correctly, can be lethal. From the simple and straightforward punch, to the variety of knife-hand techniques that many martial artists learn, all of these share a simple, deadly grace that can inspire awe in spectators.

Moving forward with my project will probably involve me just working on hand techniques as to minimize the strain on my legs and expedite the healing process. Meditation will also start to play a big role, as it is necessary to foster personal growth and development.

No comments:

Post a Comment