Monday, April 29, 2013

Motivation and Deadlines

Today in my weekly WISE class, we spoke about motivation and deadlines. The class was given an article to read which went into great detail about motivation and deadlines and how to keep up with them. After reading it, I reflected on how I have procrastinated throughout the entirety of my life. I never really learned how to manage my time because no matter how large of an assignment I was given, I always managed to complete it by the due date at the cost of a night's worth of sleep. For Karate training, this is the worst possible thing to do.

The training in and of itself is something that is continuous and cumulative. Similar to how one learns to play a difficult piece of music, they constantly have to practice, polish, and progress, adding new parts or working on dynamics and preparing themselves for a performance. If they stop for awhile, then they run the risk of regressing and losing all the progress that they have gained. Just finding the time to practice can be a challenge and difficult, but at the end of the day being able to play the piece and performing it provides satisfaction and is its own reward.

As the deadline of my final WISE presentation approaches I realize that my training will not be anywhere near complete. Martial arts training lasts a lifetime and is always a challenge, whether it be a physical or mental one, and it is an invaluable, difficult experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment