Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Bucking Horse Reflection

Even though I could not find the actual anecdote for this one, I still remember its core lesson. Self-defense involves going out of one's way in order to avoid danger. This is a very important idea in martial arts. At the beginning of many martial artists' careers, they are taught not to put themselves in dangerous situations. Many teachers often emphasize that they would rather their students never have to physically apply their training (such as getting into a fight or brawl or something), and rather have them be intelligent and walk away from the potential threat or avoid it altogether. 

However, it is important to distinguish avoiding the problem and walking away from being completely passive, something that is also to be avoided. When one is completely passive, they are allowing themselves to be taken advantage of, bullied, or even abused physically or mentally. While it is possible to avoid some situations, there are times when one has to act in order to protect themselves. For example, my father always told me that I should never start a fight and always try to avoid problems, which is something that I still actively try to do, but he also told me that if it looked like anyone were about to hurt me physically that I should defend myself accordingly. I also agree with that, but by no means am I condoning needless violence. After all, in the past martial arts were used with force in order to survive, but in modern times, the majority of people who learn martial arts to defend themselves are lucky enough to never have to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment